LCHF - Low Carb High Fat...

Ok so before you think this is going to be a blog about me pushing this way of lifestyle on to you, you are very wrong! I know not all lifestyles suit or work for everyone. I just wanted to write a blog of what I had started to do, my success so far with it and why I had decided to go this route.

LCHF is a low carb, high fat way of life that believes grains are bad for you and that fat isn't. There has been a lot of research done to prove this and to also prove that the well known food pyramid is all lies based on money and the government.

Now the concept in a nutshell as told by dietdoctor.com is
"A LCHF diet means you eat less carbohydrates and a higher proportion of fat. Most importantly you minimize your intake of sugar and starches. You can eat other delicious foods until you are satisfied – and still lose weight."

You can basically eat:
Meat, fish, eggs, vegetables growing above ground and natural fats (like butter).
And you have to avoid: 
Sugar and starchy foods (like bread, pasta, rice and potatoes).

Coconut flour flatbreads with bacon, lettuce & mayo with an iced coffee & cream
Now my husband and I started this diet the middle of July after eating Clean for 12 months and Paleo for a month (we had success with both but wanted to change things up and Paleo I missed the dairy). In the 6 weeks we have been eating LCHF we have both lost 6kg (13.2lbs) each we are losing at a rate of 1kg (2.2lbs) a week and our energy levels are through the roof!! 
We have both taken up jogging and feel fuelled and ready everyday to workout, look after our toddler and all other daily duties. We both sleep better (after the initial crazy dairy dreams I had) skin is healthier and hair & nails are growing rapidly!!

Everything we have done has done us good and set us on an incredible journey to an amazing healthy lifestyle I am currently at 37kg (81lbs) lost and hubby is on 27kg (61lbs) but we wanted to change things up a bit and then after researching why LCHF was good for you and watching some of the amazing documentaries out there like Cereal Killers & Fat Head we couldn't not make the change!! 

Working out in the forest with our boy sat on him watching :)
Like I said I am not preaching and no that this lifestyle may not work for everyone but I really feel betrayed and that I've been lied to all my life from what I have learnt. Being told butter is bad for you and to eat margarine the "healthy" alternative to find out it was a huge 20 year lie that only now can we see how damaging margarine actually is and that's only one example and the tip of the iceberg!!

I just went jogging in the woods - take that former self
Anyway each to their own but I'm pretty convinced and would recommend the documentaries to anyone. Looking at a box of cereal shocks me now even the "healthy" ones - just look next time how much carb sugar is in your favourite morning breakfast. I'd rather have my bacon and eggs any day.

My body actually rejects sugar now from not having any for 2 months. I found this out by having a "treat" of half a can of coke one evening and was ill for two days after with hangover symptoms and being sick. It is a man made drug we do not need and is as addictive as cocaine! Does this mean I don't eat sweet things? No!! I eat 86% dark chocolate and berries as a treat. Once I reach my goal weight I will introduce fruit back into my life and I bake with nut and coconut flours and spreads.

Our little boy even loves low carb taco night
Life's never been better health wise and I can't wait to see what I learn, how much I can lose and how this lifestyle change will better my life!! 



Comments