There's no place like home...

So at the end of this month Kunal will have been living and working in Malmö, Sweden for a whole 12 months, one full year and what a year it has been for him, me and us.

Everyday I look at him and he inspires me, just the way he came here fitted straight in, found friends, established himself at work and didn't once look like he broke into a sweat while doing it :)
Where as I moped, cried, begged to move back to the UK, he managed to calm me down, make sure I was alright, knew everything was for the best and still kept his cool and made a life for himself in a year. A year isn't a long time when you think about it that way. I was at Uni for 3 years and it never felt like home - just one long vacation :)

Kunal in his temp apartment when he lived here without me
Looking back on where we were this time last year to where we are now it was the best decision we ever made and that it quite an easy statement to make. Yeah I miss my family loads but when I can see the life us and our children (when we have some) will have it is easy to know my family know why we did it and why they supported us so much.

Another big step I've made recently is I finally have a job in Sweden, my first Swedish job and although it is only a contract I know that I've got over a huge step in getting my first job in a new country. The funny thing is it is where my husband works so we get to see each other at dinner, walk in together etc. Which we love (as I know some couples could not cope with that)
Since I started a huge weight has been lifted from our shoulders both financially and mentally. No longer do we have to count every penny and stay in most weekends but also no longer does my husband have to worry what mood I am in when he gets in, if i'm homesick that day etc - now were both happy and a little bit tired from being a working couple again lol (my appreciation of weekends has come back and it's a great feeling)
Spring in Malnö

Another great feeling is that I am now calling Malmö home! The last piece of the puzzle has slotted in and it all really makes me feel settled and proud of myself that we did this, we pulled it off and we managed to come out the other side smiling and not regretting a thing. To be honest if you see Malmö in spring you will see how easy it is to feel content and at home :)

Malmö has the best sunsets and I always dreamed of living by the sea
                         
                            Here's to summer, the beach and barbecues  - oh how my life has changed



Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm truly so happy for you & your hubby. Well done for both of you. When I was in my early 20's I moved to London, all on my own! As much as I was on my own, at least I knew the language fully, which does help a lot (although you do get by with English well here in Sweden too). It took me a month before I got my first job and after that I worked very hard, at times three jobs at once. But I have always been very close with my family and it was the hardest part of the move (at least it's fairly close, only a 2h flight). Just before I met Sam I was ready to move back to Sweden, but it still took another 4 years before we did... And the main reason was as we both thought we could provide a better & safer upbringing for our child(ren). Just as you, I am so proud of my hubby for doing this move. I know it hasn't been easy, but I hope that by the end of the year, he can look back at this year and have no regrets :) It would be lovely to meet up if you ever come up north to the capital :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much :) It helps so much to hear other peoples sucess stories and to hear we chose a great country. The 2 hour flight does really help, least I know if I had to I could be there in a few hours. I'm sure your hubby will feel it was the right decision very soon and you will both love being here. Will defo let you know when we head up north, were hoping to do it in the summer for a weekend if not sooner :) xx

      Delete
  3. This blog post made me so happy! Congrats on your first full year in Sweden AND on finding a job! People don't realize how hard it is to move to another country and take on a new culture and new language, but it's not easy! What a fantastic blog post to read. Looking forward to more SUN! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much :) It is very hard to move to a new country and like you say not many who haven't done it realize this. I'm so happy I got through my first 6 months of hell and am now on the good side of it all and can now begin to enjoy my new life here :)

      Delete

Post a Comment